Questions to Ask Your Child’s Care Provider
Here are a few additional questions to consider asking your child’s care provider about fracture treatment and recovery.
Questions About Treatment
- What happens during these treatments?
- What are the risks of each treatment? What are the benefits?
- Which treatment do you recommend, and why?
- Will my child need surgery?
- What will happen during surgery, and what happens immediately afterward?
- How soon can my child come home after surgery?
Questions About Casts
- How long will my child need to be in a cast or brace?
- Will my child need a sling, or a wheelchair, crutches, or walker?
- Do you have any tips on cast care?
- How can I help my child relieve itching caused by the cast?
Questions About the Recovery Process
- What are the best options for pain management during my child’s recovery?
- How long will it take for the fracture to heal completely?
- How often will my child need to return for follow-up visits during and after recovery?
- What about managing pain and discomfort?
- What can I do at home to aid in my child’s recovery?
- Are there any activities my child should avoid while recovering?
- When can my child return to sports and normal activities?
- Do you have any advice about how I can help my child go back to school with a cast?