Anthony A. Scaduto, M.D.
Professional Titles & Positions
President and Chief Executive Officer, Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Charles LeRoy Lowman Professor of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Chief of Staff, Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Chief of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center and Orthopaedic Hospital
Executive Vice Chair, UCLA/Orthopaedic Institute for Children Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles
Associate Clinical Professor, UCLA/Orthopaedic Institute for Children Department of Orthopaedics, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles
Fellowship Director, Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Primary Area of Practice
Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopaedic Institute for Children 403 West Adams Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007 Appointments: Phone (213) 741-8330 Fax (213) 741-8338
Renee and Meyer Luskin Children's Clinic 1250 16th Street, Suite 2100, Santa Monica, CA 90404 Appointments: Phone (424) 259-6593 Fax (424) 259-6588
Hospital and Institute Affiliation(s)
Orthopaedic Institute for Children
Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center and Orthopaedic Hospital
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
Medical Board Certifications
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2005.
Medical School: UCLA School of Medicine, 1987-1992. Degree: MD
Residency: Division of Orthopaedic Surgery - University of California Los Angeles,1996-2002.
Fellowship: Postdoctoral Orthopaedic Research Fellowship Division of Orthopaedic Surgery - University of California Los Angeles, 1998-99.
Fellowship: Pediatric Orthopaedics and Spinal Deformity Surgery - Texas Scottish Rite Hospital Dallas, Texas, 2002-03.
Board of Directors, Association of Child Prosthetics and Orthotics Clinics 2007-2009
Publications Committee, POSNA 2007-2008
Scoliosis Research Society
Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
Association of Child Prosthetics and Orthotics Clinics
Associate member candidate, Spinal Deformity Study Group 2007-2008
Chair, ACPOC limb deficiency registry, 2006-2008
Panel Member, Applied Medical Informatics Workgroup, Shriners Hospitals 2007-2008
Member, Abbott Sequoia Spinal Deformity Design Team, 2007-2008
Member, CME Project Team, AAOS, 2006
Member, Spinal Deformity Education Group, 2005
Member, S4 Spinal Instrumentation Design Committee, 2004
Awards and Recognition
Scoliosis Research Society Edgar Dawson Traveling Fellowship Award, 2006.
"Teaching Attending of the Year Award" - White Memorial Residency, 2005.
Spinal Deformity Education Group Advancement Award, 2004.
UCLA Orthopaedic Surgery Best Resident Research Award, 2002.
1. Bowen RE, Gardner S, Scaduto AA, Eagan M, Beckstead J. Efficacy of intraoperative cell salvage machines in pediatric spinal deformity surgery. Spine. 35(2):246-251, January 15, 2010.
2. Chafik D, Bowen RE, Otsuka NY, Scaduto AA. Tenodesis of the Tibialis Anterior Tendon to the Plantar Fascia: An effective and Permanent anchor for Tendon Transfer. Submitted for publication April 2009. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, B.
3. Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Banuelos S. Decreased Body Mass Index and Restrictive Lung Disease in Congenital Thoracic Scoliosis. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2008 Sep; 28(6): 665-668.
4. Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Banuelos S. Does Early Thoracic Fusion Exacerbate Preexisting Restrictive Lung Disease in Congenital Scoliosis Patients? Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2008 July/August, 28(5) 506-511.
5. Wren TA, SHEG M, Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Kay RM, Otsuka NY, Hara R, Chan LS: Concurrent and Discriminant validity of Spanish language instruments for measuring functional health status. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2008 Mar 28(2): 199-212.
6. Wren TA, Sheng M, Hara R, Otsuka NY, Bowen RE, Scaduto AA, Kay RM, Chan LS Agreement Among Three Instruments for Measuring Functional Health Status and Quality of Life in Pediatric Orthopaedics. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2007 Mar;27(2):233-240.
7. Tejwani SG, Scaduto AA, Bowen RE: Transient Meralgia Paresthetica After Pediatric Posterior Spine Fusion. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2006 Jul-Aug;26(4):530-3.